Tuesday, October 26, 2010

DIY ENTRY #17 Hanging Spiders

Jennifer Leigh from Muse Lodge sent these crazy spider webs. I need them!

I completed this project in about 30 minutes.
I didn't plan on posting the spiders as my first project but it was quick and easy. 
I created a template in Excel for the pleated paper rosettes, then I sketched the web design with a sharpie.

I assembled the rosettes and added the spiders that I had left over from another project with hot glue.


I've had this award frame for a while now and I finally got to use it. I attached one end of the white thread to the back of the rosette with hot glue and the other end to the inside of the frame with hot glue.


Now I just need to figure out where I should display it....

 
For the spider web template, go here.



I've gotten several questions on how to actually assemble the spiderwebs. You can search online for tutorials on making paper rosettes. There are numerous videos on YouTube on how to do it. Here are the steps I followed:


1. Cut out the template.
2. Sketch your web design. (I just made like a parenthesis sign on each segment. You can make this any way you want)
3. Score the lines. I used the end of a paperclip and the indentations on my paper cutter. (Let me know if this doesn't make sense)
4. Fold on the scored lines. (It will start to look like an accordion)
5. Connect one end to the other and adhere it somehow. (I used regular tacky glue)
6. Then form it into the "rosette".
7. Add glue to the center front and center back.
8. Put something with a little weight on the rosette to hold it together while it dries.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails