Wednesday, October 27, 2010

DIY ENTRY #23 {Fabric} Spooky Head Totem

This is by by Amanda at pAIN'T it SEW thrifty. You can find the link here.

Remember this?  My mom made that a few years back and I love it!  I decided to whip one up for myself using hers as my inspiration.  I had scraps of colored broad cloth laying around and it was PERFECT for this project.  I decided to make a pumpkin, a ghost, a Frankenstein and a vampire. 
The end result looks like this:
Sort of a Halloween totem of spooky heads.
 You can make them and hand them individually or sew them together like I did.  I did not bother to take pictures during the process but the instructions are simple.  For the ghost, you need:
-white broad cloth (I used about half of a 6'' cut piece)
-black acrylic (fabric optional) paint
-blush (your makeup) and a cotton ball
-coordinating thread
-batting
 Cut out a rectangle (front and back).  Cut out two circles (front and back).  Sew right sides together (circles first), turn out and top stitch to the front square piece.  Add in a piece of batting, sew front face to back face piece (right sides together), leaving a 3'' gap and turn out.  Hand stitch up gap with invisible thread.  Paint on pupils and mouth.  After paint dries, using cotton ball, add blush to edges of mouth.  Finished. 
 For the pumpkin you will need:
-orange broad cloth (I used half of a 6'' cut piece)
-black broad cloth (scraps)
-green felt (scrap)
-coordinating thread
-batting
 Cut out a rectangle (front and back).  Cut out face design (front and back).  Sew right sides together (face design first), turn out and top stitch to the front square piece.  Add in a piece of batting, sew front to back piece (right sides together), leaving a 3'' gap and turn out.  Hand stitch up gap with invisible thread.  *I added them stem after so I stitched it to the back with invisible thread.  (It would be easiest to add it in during the sew right sides together process)  And your done!
 For the vampire you will need:
-peach broad cloth (half of a 6'' cut piece)
-white broad cloth (scraps)
-black broad cloth
-black acrylic paint
-blush and cotton ball
-coordinating thread
-batting
 Cut out a rectangle (front and back).  Cut out two circles and two triangles (front and back).  Sew right sides together (circles & triangles first), turn out and top stitch to the front square piece [circles=eyes & triangles=fangs].  Add in a piece of batting, sew front face to back face piece (right sides together), leaving a 3'' gap and turn out.  Hand stitch up gap with invisible thread.  Paint mouth and pupils on.  Let dry.  Add blush with cotton ball and done!
 For Frank you need:
-green broad cloth (half of a 6'' cut piece)
-black broad cloth
-white broad cloth (scraps)
-black acrylic paint
-gray felt
-coordinating thread
-batting
Cut out a rectangle (front and back).  Cut out two bolts out of felt. Cut out two circles & a square (front and back).  Sew right sides together (circles & square first), turn out and top stitch to the front square piece [circles=eyes & square=tooth].  Add in a piece of batting and attach felt bolts to each side. Sew front face to back face piece (right sides together), leaving a 3'' gap and turn out.  Hand stitch up gap with invisible thread.  Paint on mouth, pupils and stitches.  Add a little blush after paint has dried.  Wahla!
 I love how simple and quick they were to make!  I don't have any patterns to share with you because I just cut them out freehand, using principles of basic shapes.  If you decide to attempt paper/fabric piecing, look at pieces in their most basic form-shapes.  It will be much easier to tackle!
After stitching my heads together I added some ribbon to the top and hung it up! 
HAPPY  HALLOWEEN! 

Project time: 1.5 hours
Project cost: $2
Project skill level: Medium

5 comments:

  1. I love that! I don't sew but I want to now! Very cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kraftymammaof4@yahoo.comOctober 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM

    That is adorable! I love to see all of the entries. The frankenstein just makes me giggle-he is SEW cute! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this project! This is so adorable. That blog is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails